Stop Destruction of Nesting Bird Habitat!
Restoration funding should not be used to build parking lots on top of annual nesting sites for Least Terns.
FOLLOW THIS LINK TO TAKE ACTION https://act.audubon.org/a/stop-destruction-nesting-bird-habitat
“Francis M. Weston Audubon Society
Conservation Committee Plan
Mission Statement: The FMWAS Conservation Committee (FCC) implements actions and programs to support the mission of the Society: “to promote the preservation of birds and wildlife and the environment that supports them”, as well as “to promote the conservation of all natural resources”.
In carrying out this mission, FCC supports National Audubon Society, Audubon Florida, NW Florida Regional Conservation Committee, and local chapter projects, programs and campaigns. Examples of each are listed below.
National Audubon Society: programs include Climate Change, Migratory Flyway, …and species issues such as Sage Grouse habitat protection.
Audubon Florida: programs include Climate change and sea level rise, Everglades restoration, Springs and Surface Waters protection,
Florida Forever Funding, and species issues like Florida Scrub Jay, Snail Kite, Bald Eagle nest monitoring, and range expansion of Roseate Spoonbills and Wood Storks.
NW Florida Regional Conservation Committee: joint projects include opposition to oil and gas exploration in the Florida panhandle, Eagle nest and shorebird monitoring and surveys, and protection/restoration of important sites.
Local FMWAS Conservation Committee: programs and projects include, but are not limited to
- Shorebird monitoring and nest protection
- Surveys such as the Blackwater River State Forest 3-year bird survey
- E-bird data reporting
- Backyard habitat improvement for birds—bird boxes, bird baths, bird feeders, plants
- Advocacy in the case of public issues
- Participate in other activities, such as UWF research projects
FCC membership for 2020-2021 includes:
- Jim Brady, Chairman and national issues
- Jasmine Pena, Assistant Chair for local issues
- Rebekah Snyder, Assistant Chair for regional and state issues
- Peggy Baker, Special Consultant for Bird Surveys
- Dr. Cheryl Jones and Dr. Diana Harris, Special Consultants for Native Plants
- Review ongoing chapter participation in local monitoring projects. Develop database and report man-hours of participation.
- Complete final report of BWRSF 3-year breeding bird survey”